Protection against ticks too
Ticks are small arachnids that live in tall grass, shrubs and bushes in the Highlands. They will quite happily take a flying leap at you as you brush past them in the long grass. If you’re out enjoying the great outdoors in the Spring and Summer months it’s always worth checking yourself for ticks at the end of each day.
They like an area of soft skin to feed from and are commonly found in the armpit, groin or back of the knee. If you have children, be sure to have a good scout around their hairline.
Unlike midges, ticks can give humans some nasty diseases like Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis and Bartonella.
How to avoid ticks
- Smidge up! Proven effective against ticks
- Keep your arms and legs covered if you can.
- Wear light coloured fabrics so you can see them instantly.
- Read up on how to remove ticks, before you go anywhere.
- Always carry a tick remover.